You take pride in your beautiful, soft area rugs but aren’t sure how to clean and prevent wear and tear? You don’t know what are the most efficient ways for keeping your area rugs spotlessly clean? Even if you do, do you actually feel confident enough to apply the tips you’ve found?
Thanks to the exquisite house cleaning services in Houston TX, you don’t need to bother looking for hacks any longer. You can enjoy some time for yourself, especially if you have grown tired of finding hacks for cleaning floors and scrubbing ceramic tiles.
It’s simple: give us a call and our top cleaning pros will come your way to do any house chores you might need. And if you’re still searching for the best ways to clean your area rugs by yourself, check out our answers to some common questions below!
How do you clean an area rug on hardwood floors?
Hardwood floors can be challenging because it’s difficult to wash the whole rug without damaging the floor with water and cleaning products. However, you can keep your area rugs clean even on hardwood floors if you regularly apply this basic cleaning routine:
- Give the rug a thorough vacuum cleaning. Make sure your vacuum cleaner filter is clean and then vacuum the area rug meticulously in a few passes.
- Don’t forget to clean under the edges. Roll up the sides of the rug and tackle any dirt that might have been caught there.
- Sprinkle some baking soda and leave it overnight. This will help fight the unpleasant odors. Also, use baking soda to scrub any rug stains.
- Protect your hardwood floor. Roll up your carpet and tape a waterproof barrier, such as a thick plastic sheet, to the floor.
- Wash with carpet shampoo. Use a gentle brush or microfiber cloth. Go easy with the water, especially when you rinse, and blot dry.
How do you keep a white area rug clean?
All white surfaces are notorious for not staying clean for too long but don’t despair if your area rug is snow white. You can still keep it clean and protect its sensitive color if you get familiar with a few rules and tricks.
First of all, you should prevent as many stains as possible. Apply a strict ‘shoes off’ policy and carefully clean your pet’s paws before letting him walk over the rug. Also, vacuum as often as possible.
And if stains are already there, deal with them intelligently. Always blot starting from the outside to prevent spreading the stain. Learn how stains of specific origin are best treated. For example, blood must be treated with cold water immediately, while white vinegar can be used to clean water-soluble stains and rubbing alcohol is used to remove glue.
How do you deep clean an area rug?
It is a misconception that deep cleaning requires strong and harmful cleaning agents. Rest assured that you’ll get the greatest results using green cleaning methods and products and following these simple steps:
- Vacuum clean the rug. It is also possible to first shake the rug off outside, but thorough vacuum cleaning is a must. It will remove excess soil.
- Apply the cleaning agent dissolved in water. Use a microfiber cloth dampened with the soapy water, dabbing it gently on the surface of the rug.
- Repeat the previous step, but with plain water only. Use several fresh microfiber cloths or regular towels to thoroughly blot the rug.
- Allow the rug to air-dry completely. To speed up the natural drying process, you can use box fans or hang the rug over the clothesline if it’s not too big.
- Rent a steam cleaner for the best results. This is the most expensive, but also the most effective way to deep clean your area rug.
Superior house cleaning services that our clients rave about
We admit that keeping area rugs clean can be a daunting challenge even with all the shortcuts that we offered, especially if you already have a workload on your hands. Luckily, Big City Maids is ready to take over any time you need our experienced cleaners’ diligent hands.
Call us and take a ride down those attractive biking trails in George Bush Park or simply bask in the sun, while we give the best imaginable treatment to your area rugs. Reach to us today!